Airframe Assembly Technician
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Airframe Assembly Technician performs a variety of tasks ranging from repetitive to non-repetitive production assembly operations. Analyze processes and process improvement. May be responsible for distributing activities and goals, coordinate and guide technical support groups. Assist with new operators, as well as assist in processes analysis.
- Performs a variety of tasks ranging from repetitive to non-repetitive production assembly operations on structural assemblies and subassemblies
- Works from diagrams and drawings, makes initial layouts, and uses hand and/or power tools, jigs, and saws
- Makes continuity checks on work in process and completed
- May conduct quality inspections on processing line in accordance with quality specifications
- May disassemble, modify, rework, reassemble, and test experimental or prototype assemblies and subassemblies according to specifications and under simulated conditions
- Follows approved assembly procedures for component or aircraft structures, consulting internal procedures that have been FAA approved, original equipment manufacturers (OEM’s) technical data, and work package instructions
- Positions and aligns subassemblies in jigs or fixtures, using measuring instruments, following blueprint lines and index points
- Inspects completed work to identify any needed rework before signing off; ensures that repaired components meet prescribed standards and tolerances
- Performs serviceability tests as required, utilizing test equipment specified in technical manuals
- Completes work package documentation as required by internal quality process and FAA guidelines
- Submits completed work to Quality Assurance for final/in progress inspection and certification of airworthiness
- High School or GED
- Proficient in drilling, riveting, installation of relate hardware, usage of precision instruments and utilization of hand tools to perform these tasks
- Familiar with fabrication of composite parts
- Reads work orders, blueprints, and specifications
- Familiar with paste/secondary bonded structure
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance
- Be proficient in the usage of air powered hand tools and related equipment
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- A minimum of three (3) years' experience with aircraft composite assembly, mechanical assembly, or aircraft structures as well as able to use all tech data and aircraft drawings, and manufacturing work instructions to perform operations
- A&P and mechanical experience a plus
Working Conditions / Environment/ Special Requirements:
- Ability to work in a safe professional manner adhering to all regulatory requirements including, OSHA, EPA, State and Federal regulations
- Ability to work flexible hours and different shifts if required
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $26-$38/hour. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing