System Test - Test Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our system testing team. As part of this team, you will perform structural, environmental, and functional tests of flight critical components and subsystems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production-ready hardware. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Use proprietary or open-source testing tools or frameworks, create Hardware In the Loop (HIL) tests for software, electrical, mechanical, and energy components of the aircraft system
- Create test setups for aircraft hardware by working closely with the mechanical, electrical, energy systems, and software teams, to capture the nuances of aircraft components, subsystem architectures, and operating conditions, and turn them into representative tests that will allow for validation of component and system designs
- Develop formal test procedures, instrumentation guidelines, test fixture designs, LabView VIs and any other necessary tools to allow for repeatable testing of specimens as discussed
- Perform structural, environmental, and functional tests on specific hardware to validate its design and manufacturing against established benchmarks
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports to provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience developing Hardware In-The-Loop tests
- Experience with data acquisition techniques and LabVIEW
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing drawing creation
- Strong analytical background
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience with high-voltage electronics
- Fluent in Python for test software creation
- Experience with aircraft certification (DO-178B and DO-178C), regulatory requirements, compliance testing, aircraft software engineering processes, and test verification
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures
- Experience with Altium schematic capture
- Hands-on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Polarion requirements and test case documentation experienced a plus
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $88,000-$150,100/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing