Senior Systems Engineer, Propeller
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
We are seeking a highly skilled Certification Engineer with expertise in FAA regulations and delegation, specifically in the areas of propeller systems. The ideal candidate will either have delegation under Title 14 Part 35 Propellers as a designated engineering representative (DER), past or present unit member (UM), or have the credential of becoming a company DER. The Certification Engineer will play a key role in the certification process of our aerospace products, ensuring compliance with relevant regulatory standards and supporting the development of standardized test methods.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all certification activities related to propeller systems and powerplant components
- Collaborate with internal teams, external partners, and regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with FAA regulations and standards
- Develop and execute certification plans and strategies for propeller systems and powerplant components
- Conduct detailed analysis of propeller structures and systems, including structural analysis and test methods
- Design and oversee ground and flight test programs, including in-flight propeller strain surveys
- Generate comprehensive test documentation, adhering to standardized methods in coordination with the FAA and other relevant stakeholders
- Identify and resolve any compliance or certification-related issues, working closely with engineering teams to implement necessary changes
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in FAA regulations and industry standards related to propeller systems and powerplant components
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to cross-functional teams, ensuring adherence to certification requirements throughout the product development lifecycle
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- Satisfies the basic qualifications for becoming a 14 CFR 35 Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
- 10+ years of related technical experience, at least 5 of which have been in the areas of 14 CFR 35 propeller systems
- Proven experience in developing and executing certification plans for aerospace components or systems
- Strong knowledge of FAA regulations, standards, and certification processes.
- Proficient in conducting structural analysis and designing test methods for propeller systems
- Familiarity with ground and flight test procedures, including in-flight strain surveys
- Excellent documentation skills with a focus on standardized methods of test documentation
- Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including regulatory bodies
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 14 CFR 35 Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
- 15+ years related technical experience, at least 8 of which have been in the areas of 14 CFR 35 propeller systems
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $121,300 - $220,000/year. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing