Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
As a Defense Associate you will be part of a small team working with existing national security customers and developing a broader strategy for the federal market. In this role, you will work across Joby’s technical and non-technical teams to develop an understanding of Joby’s technologies and their potential use cases beyond the commercial air taxi market. You will develop whitepapers, presentations, and product roadmaps for novel applications of Joby’s groundbreaking eVTOL aircraft and other technologies, and aid the rest of the Joby team in the demonstration and implementation of these applications. An ideal candidate should be a team player able to operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment. This role is hybrid based in San Carlos, CA.
- Market focus: Conduct research to understand DoD and other federal mission sets and funding opportunities, understand end user challenges, and map areas where Joby’s technologies could help solve key national security problems.
- Support current partnerships: work with defense customers and Joby’s engineering and operational teams on status updates, technical reports, and other deliverables.
- Storytelling: Draft white papers and presentations on operational concepts as well as key research, development, and testing projects for national security customers
- Grow partnerships: Draw on understanding of customer needs and funding sources to identify opportunities and support development of proposals, Request for Information (RFI) responses, and other new opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in a product development, strategy, or analytical environment with responsibility for creating customer facing deliverables
- Experience or demonstrated understanding of the defense and aerospace industries
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with technical and non-technical teams
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Adaptability and flexibility- willing to learn, and comfortable in a rapidly growing organization
- Expertise in technical writing and presentation: ability to formulate the right questions for technical experts, tease out detail and nuance, and turn information gathered into clear and concise prose or presentations that are accessible to varied audiences
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- This position must meet US export control compliance requirements, therefore a candidate must qualify as a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15. “US Person” includes US Citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees, or asylees.
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related discipline
- Experience with aerospace or electric vehicle projects; especially related to testing, advanced development, or certification and standards
- Experience with federal proposal management and contracting
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $92,700 - $123,6000/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing