Cryogenic Storage Mechanical Engineer
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual with extensive composite experience to join our flight physics team. In this role you will be responsible for the development & detailed design of cryogenic storage dewar. As an experienced engineer, you will also be responsible for providing guidance, technical knowledge and strategic insight to fellow team members.
As a part of the flight physics team, you will be deeply involved in everything from preliminary concept work, to actual production. For this role, you will have a strong understanding of material structural properties and cryogenic pressurized storage vessels. You will work closely with many disciplines, including our structural analysis, manufacturing and integration teams.
- Design of composite cryogenic storage systems and ancillary piping system to integrate equipment into other aircraft systems
- Perform initial layout and sizing
- Build detail CAD models, run detailed FEA models
- Detailed drawing creation, GD&T
- Support physical build of components, direct communication with vendors and collaboration with technicians in manufacturing
- Perform functional and validation testing of built parts, with the support of a larger testing team
- Provide and receive guidance to a cross-functional group of engineers
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Strongly proficient in CAD
- Strongly proficient in FEA
- Experience with metallic and composite components, structural design and analysis
- Experience in owning engineering parts or systems through at least one full design life cycle: from concept to detail design, analysis, build, validation testing and integration
- Able to relocate permanently to Santa Cruz, CA
- 8+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- Experience with Dassault Systemes/Catia CAD
- Expertise in FEA (preferably Abaqus) of welded 5000 and 6000 series aluminum and 300 series SST pressurized structures for cryogenic applications
- Experience in fracture analysis of pressure vessels under various conditions including crash loads
- Critical Flaw size knowledge and safety of flight correlations
- Fatigue safety and cycle life
- Experience with pressure vessel safety codes, including CGA and ASME
- Crash test and survivability and testing
- Familiarity with high end liquified gas lines, fittings and types (AN, MS Swedgelock ect)
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $ $86,900 - $144,300/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing