Senior Embedded Software Engineer - Hardware Emulation
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Embedded SW Engineer - Hardware Emulation Team develops hardware-in-the-loop testing infrastructure for testing the flight electronics used on the Joby aircraft. The emulators themselves are embedded systems which emulate the behavior of sensors, actuators, and other peripheral devices on the aircraft. Emulator development is cross-disciplinary, often requiring a keen understanding of topics such as motor control, sensor modeling, networking, digital signals, physical system modeling, embedded systems and automation.
We seek innovative self-starters who enjoy learning and working collaboratively.
Embedded C++ developers for the HW Emulation Team will be responsible for thoroughly understanding the electrical and software architecture of the aircraft and developing emulators that provide appropriate functional testing and fault injection capabilities. This will involve frequent collaboration with members from other teams including Systems Engineering, Flight Physics, Simulation, FPGA Development, Electrical Engineering, Automation, Flight Software, Software Verification, and Certification.
Developing modular, maintainable and well-documented software architectures is paramount.
- BS in electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, mechatronics or similar field and 7+ years of industry experience. An advanced degree and 5+ years of industry experience will be considered as well as a very strong demonstratable portfolio of designed and implemented embedded software code could be considered.
- Expert knowledge of C or C++.
- Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures.
- Experience with git version control.
- Experience with communication protocols including I2C, CAN, SPI, UART, etc.
- Hands-on experience with test and measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, voltmeters, etc.
- Some familiarity with Python.
- Experience with safety-critical embedded systems is a plus
- Experience with unit testing is a plus.
- Experience with DO-178C or similar assured software development process is a plus.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $121,800 - $162,400/yr. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing