Mechanical Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual with extensive composite, subtractive, and additive experience to join our design engineering team. In this role you will be responsible for the development & detailed design of structural airframe components to integrate electrical systems. As an experienced engineer, you will also be responsible for providing guidance, technical knowledge and strategic insight to fellow team members.
You will be deeply involved in everything from preliminary concept work, to actual production. For this role, you will have a strong understanding of CAD design, and the ability to do hand calculations and create detailed models and drawings. Further, you will work closely with many disciplines, including our electronics, wiring systems, structural analysis, and manufacturing teams.
- Expert understanding of static and structural hand-calculations
- Design of composite/metallic brackets to integrate electronics and other aircraft systems
- Perform initial layout and sizing
- Fastener sizing, bond area sizing, riveting
- Composite <-> metallic material compatibility, galvanic corrosion
- Detailed drawing creation, GD&T
- Background in composite ply definition desired
- Experience with a variety of materials and comfort with relative mechanical properties across material families
- Experience utilizing multiple manufacturing processes, such as subtractive, additive, carbon fiber composite lay-up, and injection molding
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- Provide guidance to junior engineers
- Consult frequently with team leads
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Experience with composite and metallic component/structural design and analysis
- Experience integrating systems in aircraft
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Proficiency in composite structures design
- Proficiency in CAD
- Able to relocate permanently
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 8+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes/Catia CAD, specifically using the Composite Design Module
- Experience in composites manufacturing
- Experience with finite element tools (Abaqus)
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $98,200 - $164,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing