Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Actuators/Mechanical Systems)
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Testing Team. As part of this team, you will perform validation and verification testing of flight-critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production ready hardware.
- Create, and mentor others in the creation of test setups for validation and verification of aircraft hardware.
- Work closely with the Airframe and Actuators, Propulsion and Avionics, and Software teams to capture the nuances of the components, system architectures, and operating conditions, and turning them into representative tests.
- Develop formal test plans, test procedures, instrumentation plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures, and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable testing of specimens as discussed.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports that will provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams allowing for hardware optimization.
- Manage the project status and timelines for the Testing Team and collaborate with Team Lead to ensure proper resource allocation to de-risk the critical paths.
- Create and implement tools to maximize Testing Team productivity.
- Manage the hardware needs of the Testing Team and provide recommendations for investment.
- Bachelors Degree in relevant Science or Engineering field (Mechanical, Electrical, Robotics, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical and demonstrable experience.
- 2+ years work experience in a relevant industry.
- Experience with hardware testing in a laboratory environment.
- Electromechanical / robotics experience, familiarity with concepts of servo actuation.
- Experience performing verification and validation testing of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems.
- Ability to perform hands on tests including setting up and executing tests with test hardware and data acquisition.
- Fluent in using LabView for data collection and Diadem/MATLAB for data processing.
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing drawing creation, Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong analytical background.
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline.
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures.
- Experience with High Voltage systems.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD Catia, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus.
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $97,900 - $166,800. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing