System Test Program Manager
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a Systems Test Program Manager who is highly organized, passionate individual with excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills. This position will be based in the Santa Cruz area and supporting our systems tests facilities in Bonny Doon/Santa Cruz and Marina. This role will operate in a fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution.
Your primary responsibilities will include scheduling and planning for Testing team projects. Working with various engineering teams at Joby Aviation (including design, manufacturing, certification and more), the Project Manager will develop and execute appropriate strategies and tactics that allow the company to achieve milestones on schedule and meet quality and financial requirements.
- Own and develop the Systems Test Program Plan
- Work closely with Testing, Design, Certification, and Manufacturing teams, as well as with other supporting functions to identify and scope out testing related projects that need to be carried out for the development of aircraft hardware, including, but not limited to battery pack & electronics, electric propulsion, flight computer, navigation system, etc.
- Ensure that executed projects meet internal and external performance and documentation requirements and standards.
- Collaborate with other project managers to ensure convergence of company-level efforts to achieve key milestones.
- Actively manage open projects by tracking progress, project gates, and seeking to resolve any potential issues ahead of them limiting the project. The Project Manager will have to exhibit sound judgment, critical thinking skills, and an ability to guide the teams to meet aggressive timelines.
- Create, maintain, communicate, and present schedules to multiple audiences, from individual contributors to executives.
- Develop tools to facilitate the various reporting or planning functions described above.
- Leverage team performance metrics to help create growth, organizational, and budgeting strategies for the team, as well as provide feedback that will allow the team to achieve higher operating efficiency.
- Bachelor’s in engineering or relevant fields.
- 4+ years of experience in an engineering environment with responsibility for implementing or managing change.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in the simultaneous management of multiple high-paced engineering projects.
- Demonstrated understanding of the product development cycle for hardware-centric projects from early design through to completion and launch.
- Expertise in project management tools such as MS Project, Smartsheet, Confluence, and JIRA.
- Expertise in common workplace software (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software, etc.) with the ability to create and maintain performance and efficiency metrics.
- Experience with aerospace projects and FAA certification process is desired, but not required.
- Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $133,500 - $178,000/yr. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
- This position must meet US export control compliance requirements, therefore a candidate must qualify as a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15. “US Person” includes US Citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees, or asylees.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing