Senior Electrical Engineer - System Test
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our testing team. As part of this team you will help design hardware to support testing of flight critical systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include electrical and industrial process equipment design, with a focus integrated loading systems . The role will involve a mix of hands-on prototyping and troubleshooting, documentation aligned to industry standards and the integration of industrial electronics in a range novel test platforms.
- Generation of documentation of electrical schematics across different test venues for existing and planned equipment.
- Configuration control of test equipment through formal testing processes.
- Provide feedback and guidance to team members in regards to electrical drafting, design and best practices.
- Technical focal for complex and novel high performance test systems.
- Develop robust safety interlock schemes for safe operator and testing scenarios.
- Help develop mechanical and electrical equipment, including the generation of control systems.
- Collaborate across teams to manage integration, schedule, budget and designs efforts.
- BS in Electrical, Power Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (or relevant discipline)
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts, with demonstratable experience to solve novel or difficult engineering challenges.
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships.
- Hands-on attitude.
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, engineering drawing and electrical schematic creation.
- Experience in electrical design and integration of industrial equipment in process or test equipment (single and 3 phase, high and low voltage systems and instrumentation).
- Experience with control and grounding schemes, and integrated electrical systems.
- PhD or M.S in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, soldering and other machine shop equipment.
- Hands on ability to wire industrial style equipment and the experience with e-boxes to NFPA 79 or similar standards.
- Solidworks, CATIA (V5 / 3DX), AutoCad Electrical
- Aerospace test or test equipment design
- Design of automated hardware, including sensor selection and implementation
- PLC programming and controller development for industrial equipment (Beckhoff, Matlab System Modelling, DSPACE Speedgoat or National Instruments Labview)
- Hardware in the loop testing
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Compensation at Joby is a combination of hourly rate and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target pay rate for this position is $130,100 - $209,300/yr. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
This position must meet US export control compliance requirements, therefore a candidate must qualify as a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15. “US Person” includes US Citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees, or asylees.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing