Mechanical Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual with extensive mechanical design and integration experience to join our new hydrogen propulsion team. In this role you will be responsible for the development & detailed design of hybrid electric-hydrogen powertrain components. As an experienced engineer, you will also be responsible for providing guidance, technical knowledge and strategic insight to fellow team members.
You will be deeply involved in everything from preliminary concept work to actual production. For this role, you will have a strong understanding of CAD design, and the ability to do hand calculations and create detailed models and drawings. Further, you will work closely with many disciplines, including our electronics, wiring systems, structural analysis, and manufacturing teams.
- Design and integration of new and existing components to integrate into other aircraft systems
- Perform initial layout and sizing of powertrain components
- Detailed drawing creation, GD&T
- Experience with a variety of materials and comfort with relative mechanical properties across material families
- Experience utilizing multiple manufacturing processes, such as subtractive, additive, carbon fiber composite lay-up, and injection molding
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- Consult frequently with team leads
- 3+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Experience integrating systems in aircraft
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Proficiency in designing and building test rigs and simple mechanical systems
- Proficiency in CAD
- Able to relocate permanently
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- Experience in fuel cell propulsion systems, thermal cooling systems, or other balance-of-plant systems
- Experience with Dassault Systemes/Catia CAD
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $79,900-$130,900. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing