Product Quality Engineer - Controls
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our quality engineering team. As part of this team, you will oversee the quality aspects of flight and propulsion control systems for VTOL electric aircraft. This Quality Engineering position will help baseline the company’s design efforts and pave the way to production. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Support the development, verification and manufacture of products using Advanced Production Quality Planning (APQP), Continuous Improvement and Statistical Process Control techniques
- Perform design review activities including inspectability, consistency, adequacy, accuracy, and conformance to requirements and provide recommendations for improvement
- Develop and manage data and metrics using data visualization tools to report and provide information with recommendations for product/process improvements and reduce cost of poor quality
- Perform product quality and quality management system reviews to assure compliance with drawings, work instructions and internal ISO9001/AS9100 and regulatory requirements
- Analyze product and process failures to ensure effective root cause analysis and implementation of corrective and preventive actions internally
- Understand risk and risk management as an essential part of the quality engineering work scope
- Review, identify, implement and maintain Supplier Quality flow down requirements and serve as Voice of the Customer for all Supplier quality-related activities including root cause corrective action
- Represent Quality on the Material Review Board (MRB) and Engineering Change Actions
- Responsible for participating in continual improvement activities to enhance the quality system, such as 5S, Kaizen lean methods, etc
- Employs mistake-proofing techniques
- Interface with Engineering, Manufacturing and Operations to ensure transfer to Production of new products are in accordance with approved data
- Responsible for performing job duties in a manner consistent with established Joby Policies and Procedures.
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Review and accept internal and Supplier First Article Inspections
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside company contacts.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, technology, or related field
- Minimum 3 years experience in a Quality Engineering role supporting a manufacturing environment
- Understanding of mechanical systems and inspection processes including in-process inspection and dimensional inspection
- Fundamental understanding of quality philosophies, principles, systems, methods, and tools
- Understanding of ISO9001, AS9100 or TS16949 Quality Management System
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including writing skills
- Experience in the aviation industry
- Knowledge of FAA regulatory requirements
- Six Sigma Lean Manufacturing and Green Belt certification
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer
- Familiarity with complex Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Knowledge of AS9102 first article inspection process
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $93,400 - $161,300/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing